The project consists of 5 Work Packages (WP) providing a well defined structure of what has to be achieved and how.
WP1: Project management and Coordination. This work package includes all the administrative and managing activities of the project in order to ensure the efficacy and success of its implementation. The WP1 runs the project horizontally, and involves the participation of all partners
WP2: Communication and Dissemination. Information and Publicity actions aim at making the public aware about the project, promote and diffuse results while highlighting the EU contribution. All partners will be involved, with project partner 3 (IEE) being mainly responsible for the implementation and monitoring of the communication and dissemination activities, as manager of this work package.
WP3: Tool box for the economic valuation and sustainable capitalization of biodiversity-ecosystem services. This work package aims at providing operational tools for the conservation of forest biodiversity through economic valuation and sustainable capitalization. To achieve this, a methodological framework of creating social and economic drivers of forest conservation through the capitalization of biodiversity services will be developed. Moreover, a manual for assessing the status and trends of forest services’ availability and distribution will be composed.
This work package also includes genetic pool mapping of 5 forested areas and the development of operational models for the economic valuation of biodiversity services in forest ecosystems
Throughout the project, a complete set of guidelines for sustainable capitalization of forested areas will be developed, covering a variety of topics. More specifically, these topics will include Guidelines for:
- Bioprospect assessment
- Stakeholders engagement and public participation in the economic valuation of biodiversity
- Provisional services related to non-wood products
- Agriculture and industry bioprospect
- Regulative services related to water resources management
- Cultural services related to tourism and recreation
- Cultural services related to education and social inclusion
Deliverable 3.1.1. Creating social and economic drivers of forest conservation through the capitalization of biodiversity services (D.3.1.1 Executive Summary)
Deliverable 3.1.2 Assessing the status and trends of forest services availability and distribution (D3.1.2 Executive Summary)
Deliverable 3.1.3 Operational models for the economic valuation of biodiversity services in forest ecosystems ( D.3.1.3 Executive Summary)
Deliverable 3.1.4 Guidelines for sustainable capitalization of regulative services related to water resources management (D.3.1.4 Executive Summary)
Deliverable 3.6.1 Assessing key aspects of interaction between stakeholders and forested ecosystems (D.3.6.1 Executive Summary)
WP4: Translating theory into practice. This work package aims at demonstrating the operational economic valuation of forests and capitalization benefits. To achieve this, the foreseen actions will include stakeholders’ mobilization in pilot forest areas, mapping and valuation of genetic pool and biodiversity services, development of action plans in 5 pilot areas in GR, FYROM, BL and AL and development of demonstration actions in 3 pilot areas in GR, FYROM and AL.
WP5: Mainstreaming biodiversity valuation into decision making and policy initiatives. This work package aims at integrating economic valuation into the operational management of forested areas and policy initiatives of Balkan Mediterranean area. In order to achieve this, the following activities are foreseen:
- Creating an online One-stop-shop (e-platform) for the economic valuation of forest ecosystem services (e-calculator and e-training and e-handbook) in the. The e-platform will include an on-line calculator and training material.
- Establishment of a Network of forested protected areas and training managers in order to achieve ecosystem connectivity and improved decision making.
- Development and incorporation of Roadmaps for promoting biodiversity valuation and bioeconomy in regional and rural development strategies and policies