The project is expected to have a significant impact on the area, enhancing transnational and regional cooperation, through continued EU support as well as promoting further EU integration. Transnational cooperation among all beneficiary countries’ organizations and institutes, will contribute to improve regional and territorial practices.
Hence, BIOPROSPECT project will implement the foreseen activities, while ensuring the coherence, complementarily and transferability of experiences and practices with other regional and national programs that can feed transnational actions and benefit of their results.
Expected results are both long and short term, including:
- Promoting the long term implementation of EU Forest and Biodiversity Strategies
- Strengthening the transnational cooperation activities and collaboration between Greece, Bulgaria, Albania, Cyprus and FYROM within the scope of protecting and promoting forest biodiversity and services
- Improving regional and local policies related to forest management in GR, BL, AL, FYROM, increasing their ability to address, in terms of future plans and investments, economic valuation of forest biodiversity
- Providing quantitative and qualitative data resulting from the project will be open and could be incorporated into the European Forest Data Centre and later on into the Forest Information System for Europe (FISE) of EU.
- Improving the management of 10 forested Protected Areas through capacity building of managers and “know-how” exchange within the framework of the network established in the project, thus contributing effectively in the expansion of ecological connectivity and transnational ecosystems’ integration of designated areas. Models generated from the project will be disseminated through appropriate channels to end users and stakeholders of BalkanMED who are involved in biodiversity management and capitalization outside the pilot areas.